Sonya Harris is a Master Gardener, former special education teacher, and founder of the award-winning Bullock Children's Garden in Glassboro, New Jersey, with experience in small-space gardening, low-income gardening, and growing foods and plants in poor soil conditions.
- Member of The Spruce Gardening and Plant Care Review Board
- Contributes gardening and plant care articles to The Spruce
- Currently a Master Gardener
- Founded award-winning Bullock Children's Garden
- Established the nonprofit, The Bullock Garden Project, in 2017
- Won several awards including South Jersey Magazine’s One to Watch, New Jersey Agricultural Society’s Learning Through Gardening Teacher of the Year, and Project Green Schools Outstanding Green Education Program Director
With 25 years of classroom experience, Harris spearheaded the award-winning Bullock Children’s Garden at the Dorothy L. Bullock Elementary School in Glassboro, New Jersey. In 2017, Sonya established the nonprofit The Bullock Garden Project, Inc. to assist schools and community organizations serving large populations of children/youth who are at-risk, receiving special education services, and/or low-income and food insecurity with establishing and implementing gardens to not only teach across the curriculum but to also inspire careers as future green industry leaders. She loves spending time gardening with children and teaching others how to grow healthy food at home and is passionate about helping educators learn the fun and ease of incorporating garden-based education throughout the curriculum.
Harris received the title of Master Gardener by the Camden County Extension of the Rutgers Master Gardeners in 2020, and a Bachelor's degree from West Chester University of Pennsylvania.
Awards and Publications
Harris has won several awards including South Jersey Magazine’s One to Watch, New Jersey Agricultural Society’s Learning Through Gardening Teacher of the Year, and Project Green Schools Outstanding Green Education Program Director
About The Spruce
The Spruce, a Dotdash Meredith brand, is a new kind of home website offering practical, real-life tips and inspiration to help you create your best home. The Spruce reaches 32 million people each month. Learn more about us and our editorial process, and our commitment to ensuring we are providing you with the most trustworthy advice by certified experts for your home and garden.